Recipe by Susan Greeley, MS, RDN Simple homemade “peasant food” such as soup is an easy way to get...
Ground Turkey, Kale & Sweet Potato Stew
Recipe by Susan Greeley, MS, RDN
- 1 Tb olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 lb ground turkey or ground turkey breast
- 6 cups kale, chopped
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into bite-sized chunks
- 1 tsp each dried thyme and oregano (Alternatively, use 2 tsp Herbs de Provence or 1 Tb each finely chopped fresh herbs)
- 1 28-oz can crushed tomatoes (with or without herbs and preferably no added salt)
- 28 oz water (fill the can) -- more as needed
- 1 15-oz can white cannellini (or great northern) beans, drained
- 1 tsp salt
- Ground black pepper to taste
- Roasted pepitas (shelled pumpkin seeds) for serving
In a large pot, heat oil over low-medium heat and add garlic and onion and then turkey. Break up turkey and stir occasionally, letting cook until onion is tender and turkey is no longer pink. Add kale, pressing down to fit. Add all remaining ingredients. Make sure there is enough liquid to cover all the greens after pressing them down. Add more water as needed. Let simmer for approximately 1 hour before eating, or until sweet potato chunks are soft.
Serve with 1 Tb pepitas per person.