by Susan Greeley, MS, RDN Spring vegetables abound these days! It’s easy to find locally grown...
Susan's Spicy Butternut Squash Soup
Recipe by Susan Greeley, MS, RDN
This is a spicy, feel-good soup that tastes decadent yet is light and what I’d call an “anti-inflammatory powerhouse”!
- 1 butternut squash
- 2 Tb coconut oil
- 2 shallots, peeled and sliced
- 3 Tb chopped fresh ginger
- 2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp each cinnamon, black pepper, salt
- ¼ tsp ground cardamom
- 4 cups organic chicken broth (low-sodium)
- 2 cups water
- Cut butternut squash neck from base. Peel skin, remove seeds, and cut all parts into small chunks.
- Melt oil in large pot over low-medium heat.
- Add shallots, ginger and all spices. Let cook until shallots soften, about 10 minutes.
- Add squash chunks, stir and let cook 2 minutes, then add broth and water.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and let simmer 30 mins.
- Remove from heat and let stand 5 minutes.
- Using an immersion blender, blend until smooth. Alternatively, pour into blender or food processor and blend till smooth.
- Garnish with fresh parsley and 1tsp crème fraiche swirled on top if desired.