Recipe by Susan Greeley, MS, RDN This is a spicy, feel-good soup that tastes decadent yet is light...
Pasta e Fagioli
Recipe by Susan Greeley, MS, RDN
Simple homemade “peasant food” such as soup is an easy way to get great nutrition while keeping your energy and mood lifted all winter long! This is a take on a favorite that can easily be made gluten-free.
- 1 Tb avocado or olive oil
- 3 large cloves garlic, peeled and sliced
- 1 small white onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 4 cups chopped mixed yellow, orange, red bell peppers (fresh or frozen)
- ¼ cup fresh Italian parsley, washed and stems removed
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 cups water
- 1 Tb dried oregano
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 cup dry macaroni (or any pasta of choice, gluten-free or legume or other)
- 1 28-oz can crushed tomatoes (no added salt) plus 2 cups water
- 1 15-oz can cannellini beans, rinsed
Garnish: Pepitas (raw pumpkin seeds) and shredded Parmesan cheese if desired.
- Using a large soup pot, heat oil over medium heat, then add garlic and onion.
- Let cook for about 3 or 4 minutes, then add carrots, peppers and salt.
- Let cook another 5 minutes, until tender.
- Add water and bring to a boil, then reduce and let simmer 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and, using an immersion blender, blend soup until completely pureed/smooth.
- Add pasta, herbs, water and beans. Bring to a boil again, then reduce to a simmer for another 20 minutes or until pasta is cooked. Serve immediately.