This Mediterranean meal is an all-in-one easy dish to prepare and reap the benefits of colorful, flavorful and vibrant in-season summer herbs and vegetables. Pop it in the oven and enjoy!
Makes 6 servings
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 6 skinless, boneless chicken thighs (or chicken breasts or desired parts)
- 1 medium zucchini, halved lengthwise and sliced in small chunks
- 1 yellow or orange bell pepper, seeded and chopped into 1 inch chunks
- 1 medium eggplant, ends removed and sliced into one-inch chunks.
- 1 cup of button mushrooms, washed and sliced in half
- 1 large red onion, peeled and thinly sliced into wedges
- 1 pint cherry or grape tomatoes
- ½ cup kalamata olives, pitted
- ¼ cup feta cheese
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. In a small bowl, whisk together the oil, lemon juice, garlic, oregano, thyme, Dijon mustard, salt and pepper.
- Place the chicken in a bowl and pour ⅔ of the marinade on top, tossing in marinade and making sure chicken is well coated. Marinate chicken for 10-15 minutes or longer.
- While the chicken is marinating, spread zucchini, bell pepper, eggplant, mushrooms, red onion, and tomatoes onto the baking sheet and drizzle with remaining marinade. Toss together to coat vegetables.
- Add chicken to the baking sheet, nestling them around the veggies, and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove the baking sheet from the oven, add the olives and feta and then place it back in the oven for another 10-15 minutes, or until the vegetables are softened and the chicken is cooked through to 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Sprinkle chopped fresh parsley on top before serving.
- To help chicken brown on top, use skin-on chicken and turn on oven broiler for the last minute or two of cooking.
- New or baby red potatoes can be another great addition if you’re looking for something more “filling” and loaded with vitamin C and potassium.
- Dried herbs can be used in place of fresh if needed.