This traditional, rustic Russian borscht recipe is healthy, nutritious and comforting – perfect for a cold winter day!
- 8 cups of organic beef, chicken or vegetable broth + 2 cups of water
- 1 carrot
- 1 onion
- 2 beet roots
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 4-5 medium potatoes, washed, peeled and cubed
- ¼ – ½ of small cabbage, shredded
- 1 tsp sea salt or to taste
- ¼ tsp ground pepper or to taste
- ½ Tbsp of vinegar or lemon juice
- Peel and cut the onions, carrots, and beets. Sauté onions and carrots over medium heat for about 5 minutes. Then add beets and cook for another 5 minutes. Add vinegar or lemon juice to the mix, to keep the ruby color! Add tomato paste, mix everything and cook for a few minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring broth of choice to a boil and add 2 cups of water. Add cabbage and potatoes and simmer for about 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Add beets, onions and carrots mix to the broth.
- Season with salt and pepper.
Serve with sour cream, fresh dill or chopped parsley, if desired.